Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Run for your life!

I have something kind of important to talk to you guys about today.

Over the past few weeks, those of you who are close to me might have noticed that I've been acting a little strange. Tired, short fused, angry, upset, touchy? Yeah. I'm sure you've attributed it to my school schedule, and that's fair enough, it makes sense. That's not the problem though. Over the past month and a half, my mother has been going to numerous doctor's appointments for testing and scans and all manner of other things, and it's scary. In the past few weeks its been brought to light that she has Esophageal Cancer. Coming to terms with the mortality of a parent is something that is overwhelming and gut wrenching. The process has been agonizing, because in the beginning you don't know how bad the situation is, whether there is even a chance for survival, and you feel like they're just going to disappear forever the next day.

In the past few days we've received more concrete information about her prognosis. She's very likely going to be okay. The cancer is localized, and operable. Its stage three, which means she's going to need chemo and radiation before the procedure, but there is also the possibility that it will knock the cancer out on its own. My mother is incredibly fortunate, because Esophageal Cancer is very deadly, one of the most deadly forms. I'm just glad that there is a very large possibility that she will be around for a long time to come.

I'm telling you all of this because its important. Cancer affects everyone at some point in their lives, whether it be in them, or someone they love. I'd never ask you to do anything for me personally, but I would like you to reflect and think about people you know who have been affected by cancer, and the people you know and love who could be. Count your blessings and let them know that you love and care about them. I feel like this is especially pertinent this week with the clothing fair, and if you could find it in your heart, I'd love it if you would fill up your inventory with Relay For Life items, or just make a donation. Cancer isn't a death sentence anymore, and that is because of research, and the people who've helped fund it. We're fortunate that we now have a President who is willing to make a concerted effort to find a cure, and I feel like now more than ever, the money you donate, will take us leaps and bounds closer to that place.

So, go shopping! Enjoy the clothing fair, and help make the world a little better by helping to fund a good cause.

Thanks :)

10 comments:

Sileny said...

Hey hun. My hopes and prayers are with you 100%. Please let me know if there is anything I can do and I mean that.

Anonymous said...

Chin up lovebug.

Anonymous said...

Anything I can do for you let me know. Nothing is too silly a request. I will be sedning all the positive vibes I can to you and your family.

Lots of us will be thinking of you and your Mom.

=)
Elli

Anonymous said...

wren you've always been there for me in all the years i've known you. through every wierd housing disaster and every idiot boy.

you need anything. anything at all. let me know. you always know how to reach me.

~zar

finding the filth said...

*great big giant hugs* sweetie!

love & prayers for your mom & for your family. kick this bitch cancer's ass!

Wrenja said...

thank you so much guys <3 I really appreciate all your love. Like really :]

Amesha Jewell said...

I can completely relate to what you are going through right now as my father has is currently going through recovery for an operation for bowel cancer. He was fortunate that they caught it early.

Sending best wishes to you, your Mom and your family through this time.

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

Hey Wrenja,

Please IM if if you want any info. Nurse in rl.
Many hugs and oprayers to you and your Mom.
Lunatic Rang

Trickett Nightfire said...

Aw, sorry to hear Wren. ):
I hope everything works out all right. Best wishes to you, your mum and family.

Anonymous said...

Wrenja, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I know it can't be easy. In my own family, I recently lost my aunt to cervical cancer and my cousin is waging his battle with stage 3 lung cancer. It is a shame that so many lives are touched by such a cruel disease. I am glad to hear your mother will be all right, and I wish her and the rest of your family the absolute best.

-Is