Monday, August 31, 2009

stirring the pot

I don't normally do this, but I feel like I have to. The Sci Fi and Fantasie hunt, as you might have heard, sucks. It's horrible, there was absolutely no planning put into it, and it's just a sad state of affairs all around. There was no uniform naming of the hunt item boxes, one store has two 'next' slurls in their folder, there were countless times I was TPed into a place with no clue where I was supposed to be, and no where near the store that had the item in it.

You could say I'm making an example of this kind of laziness, but I think from now on, I'll just be calling you out. At this point, in an era where there are HOW many hunts going on at one time, you have no excuse to not put the effort into running a good hunt. So here it is, run a good hunt, or be called out for it. If you can't get your shit together, don't run hunts, because it's a detriment to the hunters and to the creators alike. (Shall we remember the scarlet letter hunt? What a fucking joke.)

That said, I feel like I should help out some of the stores that made the mistake of being involved in this hunt, because there really are a few nice gifts available, so I'll just tell you which stores they are, because I'm sick of us having to respect the 'sanctity' of hunts, when the people in charge can't be chuffed to make sure things run smoothly.

I fangirled over Likka*House last night, and I'll do it again right now. From the cyber angel wings, to the halo, to the bracelet and clothing, Likka knows how to put a hunt gift together. I'm so in love with this outfit I really can't begin to explain because it's beautiful all over. Likka*House has gone from a shop with cute dolly dresses, to a shop that really can command a customer with her work, because it gets better and better with each release.



Full Moon Fashions put out a simple but nicely done 'mithril armor' set, with a 'bikini' option. I think it's adorable, and the shoulder guards are a nice touch. Behind me you'll see the reallly beautiful AEON skydeck from C&D Designs. It's a minimal and clean build with 54 prims, and I think it's fabulous.


Last, but most definitely not least would be the light saber set from Burning Chrome. With both a single and dual bladed saber, you have a lot of options, and it comes with a HUD to change the color, length and all kinds of other features. The Hunt ends tonight, so make sure to grab this stuff now, so you don't miss out.

So yeah, these were my favorites from the hunt, that's not to say its the only good stuff, but its the best. And lets not confuse this, this isn't about the creators, this is about hunt organizers, I am sick of these quick and dirty hunts popping up so that you can promote your goofy ass SL band, or whatever. If you aren't going to put the time and effort needed into a hunt, just don't do it.

4 comments:

Miss Demeanor said...

Kudos to you. I agree with you about the nonsense about the sanctity of the hunt thing. Good hunts will cause people to follow through..shit ones drive people off hunts all together. Good for you!!

Astrid Kiranov said...

I want to thank you for posting this. I get a little tired of only reading positive things. I don't have a lot of time for SL, so I rely on the feeds for good freebies, or hunt tips. And this is one of the best I could have read. Thank you.

General Disorder said...

Hell yes, finally someone speaks our collective frustration at poorly organised hunts. This one drove me nuts, but was worth it for the item from Burning Chrome alone.

Way to go, BC!

Gypsy said...

Actually, as a vendor on TSLH, it was very well organized although two of the organizers dropped out at the last minute just leaving one person to do all the work. Lots of us who were doing the hinting were very happy to come out and help people look and ti seems many people enjoyed and finished the hunt. I saw a ton of traffic and business and would love to see the original organizer do another. Sorry to hear your mileage varied.